Thread: Sheath Motive
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 11:44 PM   #21
A. G. Maisey

David, the words "uwer" and "mendak" are both Javanese words, and use of either is probably legitimate in a Javanese context to refer to the keris fitting, however, I cannot ever recall hearing a Javanese person use the word "uwer" when talking about a mendhak. In my experience I have only ever heard the word "mendhak" used by Javanese people.

Again in my experience , the words I hear used in Bali to refer to the ring between the hilt of a keris, and the gonjo of a keris, are "uwer", and "cin-cin" ("ring", Indonesian); I have never heard "mendhak" used in Bali.

Bambang Harsrinuksmo notes that the word "uwer" is mostly used in Bali, but also used in parts of Jawa

Haryono Haryoguritno seems to consider that "uwer" is a valid alternative to "mendhak", and in a book of the nature of his publication, it would be only natural to try to cover your bases.

However, it would not be a good idea to go wandering around Solo asking dealers what sort of uwer they have available--- you'd be likely to be offered a piece of rolled up palm leaf, a bit smaller than your little finger.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote