View Single Post
Old 1st December 2013, 06:43 PM   #13
Edster

Colin,

I think the reeds in question are not "bamboo" as we normally think of them as hard surfaced segmented and usually hollow. Reeds commonly used in riverine Sudan are also segmented, but are solid with straight fiber insides, relatively light, mostly straight, up to two inches in diameter near the base and fairly rigid. Apparently ideal for spear shafts.

When we were in Sudan, my son, being into Taekwando, noticed that fresh cow's tails were stretched over walking/herding/fighting sticks for improved grip. He wanted to use the light but thick reed as a fighting staff, and asked a local butcher to cover a five foot reed with a cow tail. The butcher used five overlapping cow tail segments to match the taper of the tail skin to that of the reed. Applied wet (freshly skinned) they shrink to a very tight fit and reinforce the reed from splitting during impact. It became a formidable weapon.

He experience poses the question: were the reed spear shafts reinforced with cow tail skins to improve their performance? I've never seen evidence of this practice, but my experience is limited. Others may have encountered them.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote