View Single Post
Old 1st August 2010, 07:33 PM   #8
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thanks for the kind words, Captain Mark .
Concerning the blade curve ...
I wouldn't have the necessary scholar background to use this as an actual reference, but i have been browsing on the famous Iberian Falcata, a sword used between V and I century BC, resembling the Etruscan Machaira called Kopis, or even the Nepalese Kukri, which has the blade 'belly' towards the tip, although in another shape context.
There is also a contemporaneous shorter version of the falcata, called Faca Afalcatada ... sort of "falcatized knife", also with the same blade swell.
Obviously the hilts of the falcata pattern have nothing to do with that of this knife. This is only to note that the curve in the blade front is not totally uncommon, while wondering if one descends from the other.
I assume i am far from being able to even try and attribute the origin of this dagger to one of the numerous peoples that have sequently inhabited these areas.
While Iberians were first around, with their falcatas, they tended to settle more to thre south and east from the settlement where this dagger was found, but falcatas were quite spread and some specimens were found not far from there.
However the Celts, who originated the Gaelic tribes, have surely inhabited this place. This could explain the tang pommel shape, as suggested by Matchlock.
Later this settlement, as many oters, was romanized, having the Romans fortified it with a triple wall.
One thing also taken for granted was the later occupation by the Germanic Visigods in this settlement, acording to their technique being noted in some ceramic findings, so i have read. These have replaced the Roman domination, having controlled Hispania between 418 and 711, date of the Muslim invasion.
Note that Hispania was the name given by the Romans to the whole Peninsula, Portugal included.
In my limited knowledge, i wouldn't know of Roman knives or daggers with a curved blade. Also apparently the way the tang is locked by a button doesn't appear to be Roman, but rather a Celtic detail, as per Michl's impression supported by Lee.
So assuming this kinfe/dagger falls into this time span and without evidence of a documented smilar pecimen, we may as weel take a pick .

Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote