View Single Post
Old 28th February 2005, 12:47 AM   #6
knife7knut

Default Reply

Thank you so much for the warm welcome;it is greatly appreciated.Sorry not to have replied sooner but some health issues have kept me in bed for most of the day.Long and involved but it relates to some prior surgery and an ongoing bout with vertigo due to a persistent inner ear problem.
I do so appreciate the information on the sword as I had no clue as to it's origins. Unfortunately the sheath did not come with it.The sword was a gift from a friend who collected military pieces and nothing else.He would buy collections for the military stuff,give me first pick of everything else,and then sell whatever I didn't want.Worked very well as I had no interest in military items.
I was amazed at the resemblance to mine and the ones in the referenced sites.Was there some sort of standard that the makers of these pieces adhered to? It would seem to be as the similarities are remarkable.
I had someone look at the jambiya long ago and he was of the opinion that it possibly originated in Jordan or Syria.He provided me with a rough translation of the lettering etched onto the blade but could not translate the cyphers on the grip as they were very worn.The figures on the grip likewise are devoid of facial features although he opined that they might have been there originally. He seemed to be more interested in purchasing it than telling me about it.I had told him up front that it was not for sale as it was a gift from a friend and I'm not in the habit of profiting from a friend's generosity.
My friend has long since passed away but the feeling is still the same.
I hesitate to post many more pictures so as not to take up any more band width than necessary.Is there a particular part of either piece that warrants closer scrutiny?
As regards to pictures:How does one create those long and beautifully close up pictures seen so often in the forum? The only time I've seen similar ones were that were done with a motorized camera mount panning slowly the length and these were inhibited by the fact that they swung in an arc so some distortion was evident at the extreme ends.Of course that was 40 something years ago;I'm to assume that technology has progressed a bit since.
Well all this typing(the two finger hunt and peck variety)is having an effect on my concentration so I will sign off for now.Thanks again to those who responded and I look forward to conversing with you in the future.
I also have several African daggers(some with pointed pommels)that I will post at a later date.
Cheers
Ray aka knife7knut
knife7knut is offline   Reply With Quote