View Single Post
Old 19th June 2007, 05:15 PM   #13
fenlander

Talking

[QUOTE=Bill]I agree this is a unplesant subject but I think there is value in how some swords did develope for this matter. QUOTE]

Exactly. People only find it disturbing because it still goes on today.
I was actually interested in the kind of metal used. It is a good way for me to understand metal types used in swords. For example i know that most "samurai" swords would be softer in the middle and harder on the edges therefore creating a hard edged sword that was not too brittle etc etc. Therefore I presume an executioners sword would be very brittle as a good edge would be the most important attribute. Sharpness I presume would be the most important priority as it would not be colliding with something as hard as an enemy shield or parrying sword etc etc. I think learning about how swords are designed and made for certain puroposes can teach the beginer like myself an awful lot about swords. Lets face it what percentage of swords were really designed to do anything nice to another human being ? yeah a few just for ceremonial purposes, but then again we just have ceremonial swords because swords represent power (power through the ability to take life). Yeah sure i don't want to see real executions no thanks (yuk) not my cup of tea but discussing how they (the swords) are made can lead to great learning.
So what steel would be the best then ? High carbon ? or what ? How are they made ? No one really answered that. If you were a sword smith and some rich shiek a few hundred years ago said make an executioners sword. Would that be different to a battle sword ? How would it be different etc etc. I think it is a decent academic question And of great value to the beginer like myself.
Kind of like the physics question to students of physics. The teacher asked them how would they make a nuclear bomb. Nuclear bombs are far worse than executioners swords, but it was a useful way to teach the physics students about physics.
However I guess there is something in our memes that makes us more terrified and repulsed by swords than atomic bombs.
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote