View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2005, 07:30 AM   #3
Miyamoto

Yes I think also that the dhal is to shiny. However if you take a closer look to it you'll be able to notice, that there are areas where the gold washing faded away and traces of wear... That means that it could be an old one, that has been cleaned and lucidatet extensively and mybe using a flaslight to photograph it. It has also some "battle dings". I've also taken a closer look to the ones produced in India recently and they just don't look the same. I have a verry divided opinion on thatone.
Is here someone who can confirm the age of thatone?

The yat, seems fairly new. That marking on the blade seems verry strange. I never saw a similar mark on the blade of a yat. The forte seems incredibly raw and plain looking for a period yat. However I'm not an expert of non-Balkan yataghans. It could be period south turkish? The pommel is similar to the turkish "T" yat. However I never had one of those in my hand.

Repro yathagans exists. They are produced (or were produced till the end of the 80s') in Sarajevo by local silversmiths. They are fairly easy to spot and made entirely of metal and they have large portions of filigran work, including the scabbard. They usually have also verry patinated, black looking, verry thin blade with gold decor. I will post a photo in the afternoon. However that yataghan in particular does not look to be one of them.

Last edited by Miyamoto; 2nd November 2005 at 10:22 AM.
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote