View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:05 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. de Luzon

... In light of what you said, may I just add the possibility that the daggers were crafted by an Ilocano blacksmith in the Visayas. Pockets of various ethnic groups have always been scattered across the archipelago. By the nineteenth century, the Ilocanos are particularly known to have reached distant places during their diaspora. Another possibility is that the daggers were brought to the Visayas either by the revolutionary forces or even just as a commodity of trade. Inter-island/inter-regional trading was common since the precolonial era.
I agree completely. Ilokanos are a much traveled society, with longstanding communities in Taiwan, Hawaii and mainland U.S.A., as well as throughout the Philippines.

Quote:
On the use of "y" instead of "i" in the inscription, I've also seen old maps where the Philippine Islands is written as "Yslas Filipinas" instead of the more common "Islas Filipinas." Even the name of the bustling town of Ilo-ilo in the same region as Samar, is sometimes written as Ylo-ylo in some documents. It is however the first time I've seen it used in Fylypyno. Your point on the lack of education of the inscriber or the one who requested the inscription may account for this. 19001 may have been stated (verbally) as "nineteen hundred one" and thus the error. Such interesting possibilities!
Interesting indeed! I look forward to hearing more about these knives.

Regards,

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote