View Single Post
Old 21st June 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Jeff D

Sorry for coming in late on this one, time, if only I had more time .

Andrea Ferrara who or what was he has been debated for over 150 years. One assumption is that the name Ferrera is derived from his town. There are towns of Ferera in Spain as well as Italy (spellings vary as much as seem on the blades). The Scots themselves in the 19th century had a bias that he was from Spain. The evidence for Italy comes from a 1585 treatise on Venitian swordsmiths, by Giovan Cigogna. He mentions in the town of Belluno the "masters Giovan Donata and Andrea of the Feraras, both brothers." It is certain there was a family of bladesmiths named Ferrara but there were also others elsewhere.

From articles and stories of the 18th and 19th centuries, it is clear that the Scots thought of him as a real smith of the finest blades. not a trade mark or talismen. They also knew there where many "forgeries" from Germany and Spain. Many heirloom blades where thought to be the real thing, of course many of these real blades have also what we now know to be Solingen or Toledo marks.

Did an Andrea Ferrera produce blades in Scotland? Sir Walter Scott. seemed to think he was brought in by James V as part of a program to improve Scottish manufacturing. Lord Archibald Campbell relates a tradition in the West Highlands of Ferrera being a Spanish artist fleeing persecution after killing an apprentice who spied on him applying a secret white powder to his blades.

In any event the debate will continue for a long time yet. I will see if I can find more on this topic later. Great thread Jim!

All the Best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote