View Single Post
Old 20th April 2018, 01:13 AM   #27
rickystl

I want to thank everyone who posted on this Thread. Took a while to get back to everyone. The comments were most helpful.
This gun will actually clean up much better than it looks at present. It doesn't even look like it's been outside in the elements. There's only a couple small marks on the bottoem butt late. It's almost as if someone built it and than sat it in a dry corner for 200 years. LOL. Anyway, here is my current plan for it:

1 The lock needs to be completely disassembled and given a normal oil cleaning so you can get into all the crevices. Then re-assemble.
2 I'll take the barrel off the stock and clean the bore better and give the outside a light oil cleaning all over. (I'll repost it here for a better I.D. before putting it back into the stock) and give the silver mounts a very light cleaning.
3 The wood on the stock just needs a light cleaning and a thin coat of Renwax. Will look much better and bring out the black better.
4 Thanks to Kubur's sharp eye, I will need to replace the four little missing stones. I'm sure it would have looked something like a half of a round bead (?) But what type of stone (or jewel?). Seems like turquoise would be appropriate for Albanian ? What type was used on Albanian blade handles/scabbards ?

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote