View Single Post
Old 1st February 2014, 03:18 PM   #259
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
Dear Prasanna, thank you for these posts. At least something substantial and relevant here.

Salaams Gustav, If I can simply illustrate how far we have advanced on this thread our understanding of the developed main thrust of this topic "The Kastane " and incidentally the broader view regarding other Sri Lankan weapons as well as the fine addition by Prasanne on the likely origins of the sword seen on the Sri Lankan National Flag etc;

We are perhaps close to identifying the Japanese item with what could well be a Falchion/Storta blade ... which forms a great little side avenue for research and which has taken many hours of deliberate and exacting research. The avenue includes potential links to oriental weapons and influence through Portuguese involvement in Sri Lankan designs from the outset in 1505. The journey by Hasekura Tsunenaga has been an amazing episode where parallel research opened my eyes in addition to the Sri Lankan/Chinese relations with the Ming dynasty etc. Getting a clear picture of Hasekura's involvement has been confounded by incomplete data and conflicting reports but I believe we are much better informed than before and despite the idiosyncrasies of 400 years of clouded detail understandably lost in time.

Much of the involvement by the three invaders Portuguese, Dutch and British has been unfurled and their effects on the key weapon in the Sri Lankan blades arsenal; The Kastane. We have observed the link with the Royal Workshops, the development of the weapon as a Court Sword and badge of office and rank. The ancient historical link and influence of design by Buddhist/Hindu pre-history has been given great attention.

Over all great strides have been made in our understanding; Therefor I have to ask of your remark above...Is that the best you can do?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st February 2014 at 04:58 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote