View Single Post
Old 30th April 2013, 09:31 AM   #16
kai

Hello Alan,

Quote:
I've been in Solo over the last couple of months, and have been in contact with a different collecting environment than the one which applies to many of the contributors to discussion in this Forum.
I'd suggest that already on Java there are several kinds of collecting environments (e. g. kraton "vs." mere mortals, central Jawa "vs." Jakarta, etc.).

I'm going to give a short response on my personal point of view and hope to get back later for more general discussion.

Quote:
Q1.
does knowledge of the society, culture and history from which a collected item come enhance the pursuit of collecting those items?
For me personally, it does. However, only to a certain point (see below).

Quote:
Q2.
if the response to Q1. is "yes, it does", is it a reasonable expectation that the majority of collectors would attempt to improve their knowledge in these areas ?
I am certainly trying to do so; life with all its mundane tasks as well as distractions keeps getting in the way though...

Quote:
Q3.
if the response to Q1. is "no, it does not", can the reasons why it does not be identified ?
In my very modest research, I am additionally trying an advocatus diaboli approach, too: only focusing on extant artifacts and intentionally ignoring any cultural "baggage" is IMHO a complimentary approach which can help to cross-examine supposed "facts" by pointing to areas of possible conflict between "culture" and "science" which need further attention.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote