View Single Post
Old 26th December 2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Stan S.

Default False Edge on a Curved Blade?

As we all know, many swords with a curved, saber-like blade have a false edge. While in cases of a straight blade it is undoubtedly a feature that assists in thrusting or a backhand slash, I fail to understand its purpose on a curved blade. That is of course with an exception of the swords with a well pronounced yelman, which adds weight to the tip of the blade, allowing for a stronger blow. Knives with a curved blade are clearly different, as they can be used for stabbing but I would imagine that attempting to stab someone with a flexible shamshir of 30”+ in length is probably not a good idea. Even in case of knives/daggers, many stabbing weapons (i. e. khyber knife, pesh kabz, etc.) will feature a T-spine instead of a false edge, so I would draw a conclusion that a blade are not really designed for stabbing unless they display a certain rigidity. Which bring me back to the question of why have false edges on curved swords..?

In retrospect, about a week ago I was examining some of my collection and noticed an interesting peculiarity. I have these 3 swords that were acquired from separate sources over a period of time (see pictures below). The first 2 are likely from South India, and while the 3rd was sold to me as a “South Indian Makara Hilted Tulwar”, it could be from a different region all together. All 3 are basically tulwar variants, and as such have locally made blades of varying quality. Now looking at them close together I noticed the absence of a false edge on all 3 blades. There are no t-spines or fullers either, or anything else that would reinforce the blade. I am assuming that they are intended strictly for slashing but so are the traditional tulwar blades with a false edge… So why have it if you don’t need it? Or why not have it if you do? Is this a matter of aesthetics or is it something else?
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote