View Single Post
Old 26th December 2009, 09:48 PM   #26
Hotspur

I am not familiar with (don't own) Albaugh's work, aside from brief passages posted by others. Is this a quote from the 1960s? I do consider a lot of the old work of others (such as Peterson) as bibles but these are sometimes revised to correct assumptions and update information. In this particular quest of a sword's information, some of those very basic precepts still hold true.

Yes, it could have been etched at any time. There is a problem with the etching because of how the name reads when compared to history. Could a well meaning organization screw that up in a reunion effort? Sure it could but first we have to find the presentation of the sword and more specifically presentation to the person assumed. Why a cavalry sword for an Infantry officer would be another boggle.

My last spurt of reading regarding this was to find mention of the slogan itself "Carry The Crater" and why any would etch that without some common reference of its use. If my sword, yes, I would be going to the trouble to pursue a good diary and bio for the name and events. Specifically a presentation to him and when that occured. Not so easy at times.

One of my favorite lines from researcher Bernard Levine is the comments of "Look at the mark. Look at how the mark was made. Ignore what the mark may say (spell out)". With this sword being discussed, that is fairly sage insight but once determined how, the why of follows on its heels. To me, the attribution with a named sword is then the curiosity of why bother to etch a name at all if not supplied with ample storytelling (provenance, if true) behind it?

Attached is a sword Albaugh would love to pull apart in the passage quoted above. These attached really did have me wondering for a few minutes but then plonked them in the "remember this" file.

Cheers

GC
Attached Images

Last edited by Hotspur; 26th December 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote