View Single Post
Old 26th December 2009, 05:31 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Manuel,
You are indeed relentless on the search for accuracy and authenticity in studying these weapons, which is an outstanding trait that benefits us all as we join together in sharing the learning.

I would clarify my statements on the use of the sword during the Civil War, in which I noted that the sword was not used 'as much' as often presumed, during the Civil War. One of the key indicators of this situation was that sword blades were often nearly blunt, unsharpened, or not maintained if they were. In a reference on the medical aspects of the war it was noted that there were remarkably few records of any sword cuts among the wounded, and that instances of injuries caused by swords were usually blunt force trauma.
One of the reasons the most used sword patterns by the Union, the M1840, was called the 'old wristbreaker' was it was admittedly a heavy weapon, but mostly the use of it was not well instilled in the men. Sword drill was mostly a superficial exercise, and the sword itself considered more of an encumbrance endured mostly at the behest of military tradition. That in itself was what I meant when noting the swords more symbolic presence, but naturally, in the heat of combat, anything can become a weapon, even an dull sword.

As always, I look for, and appreciate, opposing views, and look forward to supported accounts of actual and effective use of sabres in the Civil War, which certainly might have happened incidentally. My comments have been placed in a much broader sense, and from generally held opinion.

With regard to the etching of sword blades, whether captured, or issued, or even associated in some way with an event or individual in the Civil War, many swords undoubtedly were afforded this decorative motif commemoratively after the war.
As I noted, while the war ended on the battlefield, in the country and its people, especially in political essence and culturally, it still prevails in degree and virtually as an open wound. There were many versions of military based fraternal organizations, the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic),et al. There were many suborganizational groups that were offshoots of these various entities, and of course, the most prevalent fraternal society of all, the Freemasons, which had already stood for many years, burgeoned in membership.

It was indeed a country torn asunder by the strife of the war, and its aftermath led to the wild encroachment of the 'carpetbaggers' with the frontiers full of 'lost' ex soldiers disillusioned and who had become wandering victims of this tragic episode of our history.
As I had mentioned, living in Nashville, Tennessee for nearly ten years was quite an eye opening experience. Here, the entire area was of course 'occupied' during most of the war by the Union forces, so the animosity can be well imagined. Its intensity is still present in many areas among the population of distinct ancestry there, and Southern Pride prevails.

There were certainly fraternal groups that focused on the gallantry and heroism of the Confederate forces, and as I mentioned, thier monuments and cemeteries are privately maintained. While there are no provisions federally for these, I am not aware that there were restrictions against veterans groups. In the assemblage of these military brotherhoods, their reunions are not emplaced to celebrate the horrors of war, but contrarily to celebrate the brotherhood among themselves forever bonded in those events. It is even more deeply to honor and respect heroism and gallantry, to remember those who fell, and based in respect.
I would imagine that any concerns or restrictions would obviously be placed on any subversive groups whose existance was based on hatred or terrorism, but far deeper treatment on history would be needed to elaborate in detail.

Despite animosity that of course will probably always dormantly be present (with obvious exceptions in degree I think that for the most part the sense of being American prevails.
Naturally there is wide berth for argument here, and I would ask to not reopen the 'Civil War' here and keep the focus on following that trail on the history of this outstanding sabre. Its true story deserves to be known.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote