View Single Post
Old 26th December 2009, 03:18 PM   #23
celtan

Hi Guys,

Once again, Season's Greetings to y'all.

I will let you know anything else I find regarding this sword, it is an interesting subject to research. " ) . Jim knows how determined I become when I get a scent of the prey...

Jim, are you actually saying that swords were _never_ used as an offensive weapon during the CW..?

So Glen, from your perspective I get that 1. No captured swords were etched and presented as trophies 2. This might be a post CW sword presented during a post-war Veteran's Reunion. 3. Alternatively, it could also be a CW presentation sword, or (my contribution to our "what ifs" ) perhaps 4. even could be Capt. Wallace's own war-time sword, etched after the events of the Crater, "to preserve the legacy".

Mind you, I'm jot particularly converse with post-CW events in the South. I imagine conditions for the defeated were not particularly pleasant. MY knowledge is limited to the movie "The Outlaw Jesse Wales" and some comments made by South-American friends regarding "carpetbaggers" and "Federal insidiousness".

Would it be logical to assume that Confederate Veterans Reunions were not something to sprout in the faces of the "invading Northerners"? I can't imagine a Wehrmacht Veterans reunion in 1950 Germany, or the presentation of a sword to Michael Wittman, or Erich Hartmann, on account of their wartime actions, no matter how courageous they might have been.

And from the little I know, Civil Wars consistently leave behind a far greater deal of resentment and downright animosity than the "regular" kind. Wouldn't CSA Veteran reunions be effectively prohibited by the Victors..?

Best regards

Manuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Glen,
Thanks for correcting that, it seems my history wires get crossed sometimes, especially in this area on Civil War history, so getting it right is very much appreciated to keep the record straight. Still, the point was that as an important gesture, these officers were to keep thier swords.

Your outstanding comprehension on U.S. history and weapons has always been clear in your compelling posts through the years, and as I have noted many times, its great to have them here!! Thank you.

BTW, Ho Ho Ho!! yourself Merry Christmas morning!!
All the best,
Jim
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote