View Single Post
Old 15th December 2009, 12:09 PM   #12
celtan

Very observant. I confess, I am the guilty party. The sword was gray black and I couldn't see the etchings well.

Used fine wire-mesh to clean _some_ of it, still has a dark grayish shade. I didn't remove the ricasso's rust because there's nothing inscribed there...

I agrre it's not french, they were sticklers to detail, and left all sorts of inscriptions to denote manufacture, provenance, inspections etc....Haven't seen any of those.

Thanks for your assistance, I just did not want to saddle our merry troupe with one of those all-emcompassing questions "What is this sword"?, so I merely asked about the mark.

Best regards

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur
Thanks for more background on the sword. One other thin g I wonder about is the apparent cleaning of the oxidation from the ricasso up that is shown in this attachment. Something is odd to me about that trait but perhaps meaningless (except someone was scrubbing off rust at some point)

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attach...id=52669&stc=1

Again, I have no reason to doubt you see other markings there, I just can't see them or reconcile what you see of them. You mention it to be quite like the French markings but it is pretty obviously not a French built sword.

I'll poke about regarding the character a bit, as I have some other leads I often peruse. Thanks a lot for the entire sword as you have been able to provide it. I somehow hate to get one the teeniest of information regarding an item without as much background as possible.

Cheers

GC
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote