View Single Post
Old 18th January 2019, 09:04 PM   #276
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
MMMmm even a baby elephant's head?

More seriously thank you to reopen this thread, Ibraheem did a amazing job here.

Always good to look at the lighter side, sometimes I think we can get things out of perspective, but the important thing is this thread is a valuable resource on the khanjhar, especially those of Oman.
As a virtual 'outsider' in the field of daggers, I know I have learned a great deal from Ibrahiim and the knowledge he has gained in over three decades of study on these in Oman.

The objective as I have understood in the recent posts, despite the photos which were perhaps too graphic to stand as supportive evidence, was to show that giraffe horn is indeed often used in lieu of rhino horn in these hilts. There have apparently been various speculations on the actual material used including various species' hooves etc. but here the proper identification has been revealed purposefully.

I hope we can continue to learn more on these intriguing daggers here, and focus on the varied elements of character in them to help in more accurate identification. As someone very much forensically limited in identifying materials used in hilts as well as metallurgical and design properties, I very much apprieciate this discussion and the input by Ibrahiim as well as those who have contributed.
Thank you all!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote