View Single Post
Old 29th November 2018, 08:52 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Jim, I find it odd that you find my comment on lack of knowledge to be offensive. My question to you, do you have the knowledge to read an Arabic word without a transliteration? Or the ability examine a basic Arab dictionary, which happens to be the requirement to understanding the absurdity of claiming Rumh is taken from the word Rum?

https://www.almaany.com/ar/dict/ar-ar/معنى-كلمة-رمح/

Are you capable of understanding the text here, if so, by all means prove it beyond the use of English transliteration which carry no weight at all.

Also, Ibrahim alBalushi of alBuraimi is an existing person, who i doubt knows of how his identity is used. This is not your random nickname.

Lofty, I appreciate your explanation, and it is true, I do not speak nor read Arabic (I wish I did as I admire the knowledge it contains).....however your choice if words were what I referred to. I admit I rely on others who are well versed in Arabic or sources I consider reliable. ....but I hardly consider that renders my access to research sources or my knowledge insufficient. Your point is well taken, I cannot make the judgement myself, which was why my comments were offered only as suggestions....not assertions.

As Teodor has expressed, your knowledge in Arabian arms has been often constructive in threads and discussions, however I think it is important to recognize that others 'in the field' have opinions and observations which should be equally considered. They are not intended as 'misinformation' and to rebut or correct information should be rendered courteously, much as others respond to your entries.

It is a great thread, and I hope to learn more on these weapons. I admit I do rely a great deal on Wikipedia to provide overview for further research. Also on various online sources, it is noted that the term RUM refers in instances to Turkish citizens of Greek ethnicity, and RAMAH refers to a shaft, spear, pike or javelin.

Interestingly the term HARBA refers to a bayonet or spear.

I will pose this as a question NOT a comment so as not to appear absurd.

Is it possible that a rifle, with bayonet mounted, thus becoming a stabbing implement.....a spear or lance....might be construed by that term loosely in a military parlance?

Are there notable differences in local dialects, particularly Bedouin , as far as Arabic; in Omani or other regional cases? I know that Lofty is well versed in these matters and the differences between these tribes is intriguing.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote