View Single Post
Old 29th November 2018, 08:24 PM   #21
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
These are quite an unusual acquisition ... two spears from the Arabian Peninsula, probably Yemen. Points of interest are the iron "sleeve" to the spearhead and the faceting of the shaft and sleeve to one of the spears. This reminds me of similar work to be found on spears from the Horn of Africa region.

Comments, observations and references etc are welcome. Anyone have similar examples for comparison ?

Excellent thread Colin and others who have contributed constructively … So that the likeness in spears can be observed with reference I have placed the book by Richardson and Dor below with the page number shown. Talking with my colleagues and local people they call the long firearm often referred to as abu Futtilla also by an older name ..Roomi. That a fact which appears to have developed from the famous spear as a carry forward name for the long gun which if you think about it makes abundant sense. Im not entirely sure if the book shown says it is the Ruhm or the Rumh as it is a few kilometres away and on this I'm working from memory. I don't know if that name is used across the border in the Yemen.
This is a great thread since it examines an extremely rare arabian weapon hardly ever seen but which was probably the main one used in battles before gunpowder and superseded by it.

FROM PAGE 453 "Richardson and Dorr" The Craft Herritage of Oman ~
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote