View Single Post
Old 29th November 2018, 05:23 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Jim,

I understand the confusion from a non Arab speaker's position. But beyond that, even with minimal ability to read Arab letters is enough to dismiss this absurdity.

For a comparison, this connection between Rumi and Rumh sounds as ridiculous as claiming the word 'sword' originates from the word 'sweet' simply because the first two letters are the same. There is simply no chance. The word Rumh is not a loan word. It is very much a codified word that has mention in Arab literature through out history.
Thank you for the explanation, which again well explains your perspective, and while clearly and understandably quite personal, is a bit strongly worded. I have always felt it imperative in discussion to acknowledge and entertain other views without discount or rebuke, as in many cases even explanations which may seem ridiculous to some may have some bearing. In any case I appreciate your views in the manner I have noted.

With that it would be great to get back to the discussion on spears, and can you say more on the word Rumh? You use the term 'codified', does that mean obliquely, etymologically explained? Can Arabic words be identified in accord with etymological explanation in the manner of English etc. ? or are the identifications broader? There are some interesting explanations in discussion of weapons in "Armies of the Caliphs" by Hugh Kennedy.

If you know this reference, your take please.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 29th November 2018 at 05:37 PM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote