View Single Post
Old 18th January 2015, 11:02 PM   #11
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
the object cannot become fake depending on how or how much was it sold for.
Alex, you are missing my point I think. It is not that the item by itself is a fake due to being restored, but in the mind of a buyer who finds out that the item he purchased as an untouched original antique has been substantially reworked (as in the swords in this post) then these items in the buyers mind can become fake/fradulent/diminished in value etc.

If I purchased an item as an untouched original then later found out that someone worked it over I would not be pleased with myself for not seeing this in the first place and secondly I would not be so very happy with the item if it were purchased on the basis of being unrestored.

If I were to purchase the exact same item knowing in advance that it had been worked on or if I knew that there was the possibility that an item was not an in untouched condition then that would made a diference in how the item was preceived.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. The kilij pictured below was sold a while back, the owner specifically mentioned "minor restoration" (can you spot it?). Since the restoration was mentioned, if I were to purchase it I would have no reason to be disappointed if someone pointed out to me that it had been restored. On the other hand if someone were to purchase this same sword as an unrestored original condition item and then later found out that it had been worked on, the buyer may not be so happy with his purchase as would most people who find themselves in a similar position, that is my personal opinion of course.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote