View Single Post
Old 5th December 2005, 09:17 PM   #6
Andrew

Cool

I doubt newly manufactured edged weapons will ever have the identical appeal as their authentic, antique counterparts, for the reasons stated above.

However, I do not believe the quality weapons being produced today will be looked upon in the same poor light as Victorian and Qajar revival stuff. Cheap wall-hangers will be, but not the well-made modern weapons which I anticipate will have intrinsic value of their own, not really dependant on the culture they mimic.

For instance, has anyone checked the prices on "pre-owned" Howard Clark Japanese-styled swords lately? They fetch significantly more than they did when new.

How about a Vince Evans dao or shamshir?

Modern Japanese shinken often reach and exceed the prices for nihonto.

Modern weapons will be cherished, not necessarily for their form or culture of origin, but for their quality, and their makers. Any who doubt this should take a look at the Macau Museum of Art's current exhibition "Masters of Fire" which features the work of contemporary bladesmiths.

I think we are experiencing a new "golden age" of edged weapon production supported, in large part, by the internet.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote