Thread: Amanremu
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 07:41 AM   #18
kai

Hello Roland,

Quote:
A rare variant of a rare blade, with a beautiful silver decorated hilt
Congrats, these are certainly rare to begin with! You do seem to attract unusual blades - I would have expected a steel slorok between laminated softer layers.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your blade discloses after full polish!

Could you add some close-ups of the silver "jaws" of the hilt, please?

Quote:
The whole sword is 66cm (26") long, blade 52 cm (20,5"), the massive base is a little more than 12 mm (0,5") wide, it weighs 740 grams.
A nice blade of large size! (BTW, thickness is considerable at 12mm, width at the base will be more... What is the max. width near the tip?)

This is a large-sized example. I believe these are typical for northern origins. I can't rule out Gayo Luos; however, the bamboo shoot or gunung-like extension of the silver ferrule seems to be more of an Aceh feature - maybe this comes from the Gayo region around Lake Tawar?

Quote:
But what I can say 100% sure is that the blade saw a sophisticated tempering. It has two more or less parallel temperlines over each other. The lower one is always stronger.
Quenching/hardening rather than tempering, I suppose?

Could this be the result of subsequent passes with a water dripper? Are you sure the darker edge is not from a san-mai (or inserted edge) construction?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote