View Single Post
Old 7th February 2016, 08:07 PM   #34
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Excellent review and comments on the MET book Ariel!! and especially well noted comments concerning Oliver Pinchot and again , his unsurpassed knowledge, and Jens thank you for your kind note.

It is great to have reviews of published books and of course comments on the authors, however important that in reviewing these that these are personal views and opinions. What is profoundly superfluous and not good form is the critique of others who are noting their views on the subject matter.

Despite that particular 'detour' I am anxious to get this book! I get to make my own judgements on whether the comments of critics are pertinent or not but these reviews sound pretty good.
I don't think that you got my point. I have Pinchot's catalogue, its a nice and useful book. But the author is not the same caliber than Alexander. One is a researcher, the other is a collector and a dealer like a lot of members on this forum. Alexander can read Arabic or Persian, I think you understand the difference... BUT I have to admit that a lot of collectors and dealers are much more competent than a lot of curators. It's a complicated situation and I do not think that you or me are competent to judge if people are good or bad. And it was not my intention to let you think that. By the way, Alexander mentions page 12 that foreign terms have been kept to a minimum...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote