Thread: What is it?
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2021, 09:51 PM   #32
SidJ

Really enjoyed reading this. I dont own cock fighting spurs but used to own and raise fighting cocks many years ago. The birds that are fought with these spurs are very very different to those fought using their natural spurs. They are lighter and more feathered so they can fly higher and strike much faster. The natural spurred fighters have a pedigree going back to around 2500 years in India. They are heavy hitters like heavyweight boxers and have the gameness bred into them so they will never run away and will fight to the death. There are different rules too to these different fights but the former ends in a very short time. Luck plays a huge role too. In the natural spurs the fight goes on for a while and only rarely ends in a birds death with the owner usually conceding defeat before this happens and the bird living to fight another day. Birds use various strategies like coming up under the wings to strike etc and are bred for such attributes. I could go on. But it's nice to see these spurs. It's triggered memories from long ago. I dont condone animal cruelty though. I raised these to play my part in preserving an ancient breed of fighting fowl that is sadly quite vulnerable to being lost forever.