View Single Post
Old 8th June 2022, 03:33 AM   #15
naturalist

Default Ceker kidang

Most of my office mates are Sundanese, since my office is in Bogor, West Java. I took this opportunity to ask them what is "Ceker". For them, ceker is referring to chicken feet (all are younger than me, i don't know how deep they are into their culture). However, i found that in some parts of Betawi communities around Jakarta Province (Betawi who are living in West Java, but close to Jakarta), ceker also has meaning as the feet of ungulate.
In Javanese, the verb form of ceker is ceceker it means looking for food (as the chicken do to look for something on the ground using their feet or what we are doing for living-connotation). Javanese also use cekeran/nyeker to describe a situation when we (humans) are in bare naked feet. We (Javanese) do have a rude form of it, it is "cokoran/nyokor". So, as in some communities in West Java that are using ceker not only for chicken leg, Javanese also use ceker in a broad meaning.
I did pass the pictures above to my colleagues, all said the handle is "ceker kidang".

Anton
naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote