View Single Post
Old 13th May 2006, 01:34 PM   #13
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you for the link, Rather. I don't seem to be able to open the pictures, bu i got an idea from the front page.
The aproach i made on the 7th century saxon spear was only to quote an image of the blade construction and visual look. I tend to beleive mine is a 16th century piece, from the first opinion i had, and not 17th, as i wrongly wrote in the first post in this thread
I would say the two ( almost ) opposite holes are too close from the blade and so within the penetration area, therefore not plausible to have here any kind of device, be it crossbars or cloth and hair "blood stoppers". The late were definitely stuck into the socket base, right?

Thank you Tom
As you well say, the two little holes could be an add up to the socket fixing.
I actually took off the nails, to refix the shaft. They are not hard nails, but made of plain wire, looped at the top, maybe to simulate a nail head ? But i ignore if they are the originals.
Maybe the blade configuration is some different than you sugest, if i get your point ... my english is limited.
The set is composed of one base plane plate, with two extra half width parts turned (?) and welded to the base blade, one inverted to the other. This could make it look like like an offset situation, but i think this is more the result of the welding edges texture, secondary to the blade strenghtning intention, by means of doubling up the mass.
If you foccus differently to the pictures above, notice that the extra half parts include an extension down to the socket neck, to complete the reinforcement.This is what makes one think the socket is separate from the blade, but in fact is integral with the base plate.I hope you understood my selfmade lexicon.
All your further remarks confirm what i lately read on this area, namely a comprehensive portuguese book convering these weapons in medieval ages. However most pictured lances i see, are perfectly tooled, with a regular "ordnance" aspect. I still have dificulty in relating these pieces with my example, of grotesque lines, and made possibly with an anterior resource tecnique, therefore tricky to guess on its age. Also the "triangular" shaped blade is not much seen, as you well note.
Do you think this could be a 16th specimen ?
Thanks
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote