View Single Post
Old 14th June 2017, 12:47 PM   #14
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yes, it could be Madura, but I've spent a lot of time in East Jawa, and more than a little time in Madura, and I have not seen this style or similar in any museum displays, or in use. The usual Madura ladrang that is seen is capu kagok.

I cannot recall seeing this style in a reference anywhere, and as I said in my post, I've run it past a lot of people who I reckon ought to know --- if it is knowable --- and I don't think any of them did know, they only guessed.

But having said that, my own opinion is that for maybe the last 100 years every area on the North Coast all the way through to East Jawa is so mixed up that nobody really is 100% sure of anything. This is not Central Jawa that we're talking about where the kratons still have certain standards and rules that they enforce.

Hello Alan,
Yes, correct, only guessing especially if we can't see the blade. I will check if I can find more references.
The arguments in favour of the EJ/ Madura origin are as follows (see 2 typical Daunan scabbards from Madura):
. The similarity in the overall shape, yours being more compact and without the small carvings at the back.
. The similar groove and ridge on the left side of the crosspiece.
. The slim gandar (the Tegal krisses generally have a thicker and longer one).

The pendok is in peculiar style which I can't identify, but is not Madurese of course.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote