View Single Post
Old 10th July 2020, 08:02 PM   #60
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I must confess Fernando, that my note on the rompe puntas was a bit tongue in cheek, viable in the sense of what writers 'considered' an explanation. This rolled lip seems to me more a construction matter and a means of a more 'finished' look. The absence of this on typically somewhat thicker metal in hilts from more workmanlike shops is more a matter of convenience.

The 'sword breaker' syndrome is something more or less contrived by innovative fencing and arms writers in earlier times, and according to Egerton Castle, in his "Schools and Masters of Fence", those toothed left hand daggers (main gauche) were never actually used, particularly for the purpose suggested. As you well note, all these contrivances and features alleged to 'catch' opponents blade are fanciful, and it would take the full cooperation of the opponent to achieve the necessary contact and position to carry out. In the same sense, this thin lip would only catch a sword tip almost miraculously, and surely would not break it as it deflected away.

I think one of the most intriguing topics in the study of edged weapons is the incredible amount of 'lore' with sword elements and features. It would be a worthy topic to have a thread on the lore and esoterica of sword features, so I would not carry it further here. I have appreciated the many aspects and Portuguese terms of many of these you have shared here over the years in studying these rapiers.

.[/QUOTE]
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote