View Single Post
Old 24th September 2006, 09:47 AM   #52
B.I

i still look forward to a more detailed opinion/review/critisism of the actual content, whilst forgetting who actually wrote the book. it is what is written that counts and i hope to be pleasantly surprised, as i always do when a new book comes out. yes, i am normally disappointed, but it doesnt stop me hoping for something of importance.
kirill, i really value your opinion on the historical side, and look forward to your assessment, once read. as i do ariels.
but, i think you should lose the dustcover, skip past the first few pages (with the authors name) and dive in and give us a great and open review. i dont think anyone would complain if your assessment was on the content alone, with all personal opinions put aside.
i too havent agreed with the author in the past, but i am a collector, and desperate to fill my shelves with books to benefit my hobby.
however, i am not a fan of empty gratitude. the author will be judged on what he has produced, which is more important than the efforts alone.
as i have said before, i will judge the cataloguing in a strict way, as this is what i look for in a book. but even if my worst fears come true, i will always appreciate the chance to see the contents of 10 museums that i know i would never have known about.
the cover price is guaranteed to be accepted by me, due to the inclusion of these museums.
however, the cataloguing will determine which shelf the book ends up on - 'bloody useful' or 'coffee table picture book'