View Single Post
Old 1st June 2015, 07:01 AM   #175
ulfberth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
Description
Basket Hilt-Scottish-c1730-Broad Sword: - Thick steel basket Hilt has typical heart and circle decoration made of thick flat bars, no wrist guard. Blade length is pitted and has dark patina, numerous marks visible on blade shoulder and both fullers, probably German. The fuller runs almost the entire length of the blade. The blade may predate the hilt however they appear to have been together for very long time.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
@ Cathey,
the blade seems indeed older, 150-200 year, out of the first half of the 16th century and maybe shortened.
this type of mark I noticed more often at the ricasso of a so-called compound or complex hilt from the first half of the 16th century.
Always on the left side of the ricasso (pommel up) of a double fullered
blade.

best,[/QUOTE]
Hi Jasper and Cathy,
the marks on the blade look like they are from the same maker, and yes the blade is from the first half of the 16th century , from south German Or North Italian origin.
The blade in the basket hilt is a similar blade and looks shortened.
Or it could be a blade from the same maker forged in different dimensions to begin with.
The blade of the complex hilt measures 4,5 CM at the cross guard and is 106,5 CM long.
I cant measure the blade on the basket hilt but I think 3,5 would be close.
Also the fullers on the one and a half sword are 7 mm wide.

@ Jasper , you'r first picture is from that Italian book, but were did you find the picture of the second sword ?
kind regards

Ulfberth

Last edited by ulfberth; 1st June 2015 at 10:03 AM.
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote