View Single Post
Old 18th June 2018, 12:28 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Leif:

Spot on -- the same indeed! I had forgotten about my example with the sheath in that older thread. From Apalit in the Province of Pampanga in Central Luzon.

As we talk more about the similarities in style among knives from various groups in Central Luzon, it is interesting to note that the sheath on my example that you linked to is similar to leather sheaths on knives that are more typical of an Ilokano style.

Perhaps we are coming to a point where we need to speak of a regional attribution, "Central Luzon," with sub-groups related to specific towns or ethnic groups. Fernando and Jose have noted that not all of the knives we assign an Ilokano style were necessarily made by Ilokanos, and that some melding of styles among ethnic groups is likely to have occurred. Without more specific information about the knifemakers of Pampanga and nearby areas, it will be difficult to sort out some of these sub-groups.

If we are looking at probabilities, it is important to remember that Ilokanos make up the third largest ethnic group in the Philippines (after Tagalogs and Visayans) and that most of them live in Central and Northern Luzon. Because Ilokanos probably outnumber all other ethnic groups collectively in the region, it is likely that most of the Ilokano style knives that we see were indeed made by Ilokanos. However, that observation does not help very much when trying to assign a particular maker to a specific knife.

Ian

Last edited by Ian; 18th June 2018 at 12:51 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote