View Single Post
Old 12th September 2012, 03:37 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting question, and I think Runjeet has offering some reasonable speculation as far as the possible initials of either organization or district in the British administrative web during the Raj. The first open hilt tulwar appears to be a court or state sword which with straight blade I think is termed 'sukhela' in classifications. It is NW Indian and again by hilt form seems Rajasthani.
The one with heavy yelmaned blade is similar to others of this form and hilt which seem to be termed 'tegha', though the exact nature of this form has been disputed. The others I have seen like this also have the cartouche in similar location on blade near edge at langet, one is in "Islamic Arms and Armour from Private Danish Collections", Copenhagen, 1982, #174, as found in notes but I do not have the book. Unsure of what is in the cartouche but it seems oval. Another was sold in December, 2011 with similar hilt (these appear Rajasthani also) and the cartouche with illegible markings in oval.

I would suggest these initials may represent the official property of one of the districts in India, perhaps these arms belonged to groups or units in certain capacity. Even many large firms and railroad agencies had thier own police or security forces. I recall that one railroad agency in Baroda even had swords made in the British M1853 pattern by Rodwell & Co. made for them.

Just speculation of course, and as always, look forward to other views.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote