View Single Post
Old 13th July 2016, 12:33 PM   #12
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Although i definitely agree that "the arms of Greece end..." it is a valuable book, i have to note that has a lot of mistakes, speaking for the subjects of the book that i have knowledge. For example the authour takes as granted information given by collectors, and especially from the collectors that financed the book. Themselves they got information from antique dealers, that have monetary interest in giving attribution and fake provenance to the pieces they sell...
He also presents fakes as originals, while i would expect from a writer like him to understand the forgeries. As a last weekness of the book ii would say that he gives no information at all for Cretan arms, having only photos of items desribed as cretan without any explanation of why this is so. (characteristics,typology etc)One pistol is labeled as cretan while is Algerian. If i find some time in the next days, i will show you some examples.

As I have no deeper knowledge pertaining this topic, I cannot agree or disagree with you, but I would certainly like very much to learn about what your arguments are, in order to educate myself on the subject.

Regards,

Marius

PS: I said earlier that nobody is perfect and we are all prone to making mistakes. (even myself... )
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote