View Single Post
Old 19th October 2006, 09:08 PM   #12
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoxis
Can anybody tell me with a real argument why this blade is not European?
The Tuareg made blades are flat and very elastic usually with 3 scratched decorative fullers in the way Kaskara blades are but much lighter or with no fuller at all, the ones made in Northern Nigeria in the 20th century.
This blade is 1/8 inches thick and very heavy.
Gentlemen please open your books and let me know, not only what you feel it might be but what you KNOW it is .
artotec
Zalmoxis

Thickness of the blade is not an indication that a particular blade is European.
There are a few things to look for such as overall appearance Euro blades have a diiferent look to them they have a cleaner look to them with well defined fullers be they one wide one or three thinner ones and they have a stiff springiness to them. The smiths in that area of Africa can make blades from old machetes, sheet steel, rebar or truck leaf springs which would be the best choice to me. It really does not take that much effort for a good local smith to bang out and spring temper these sword blades I am sure that this is a cottage industry in many parts of West Africa. BTW I have a very nice takouba with a thick blade but it's no Euro blade. The blades pictured below are late 17th century or earl 18th German trade blades that were used on many kaskara and takouba.

Lew
Attached Images

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 19th October 2006 at 09:18 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote