View Single Post
Old 18th November 2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have not seen this grouping of markings before either, and they do present some most interesting possibilities. I had written an explanation earlier, but it seems somehow that post was transmitted to the 'Island of Lost Luggage' .

The so called 'twig' markings in the top set of markings are from these types of marks well known on Italian blades appearing in various arrangements and later copied in degree on Solingen blades. It remains unclear how these may have been applied on native blades and to what degree.

It seems that these markings seen here reflect a theme which seems to occur in various perspectives, that of cosmic symmetry, and which may be the case with the well known dual crescent moons (dukari) on Tuareg and many Sudanese blades. This seems to be carried even further in these markings, where the paired twig marks are joined by a rocker often associated with the dentated pairs of marks noted by David and known as eyelashes.

In this case, these are described as scales, which goes directly to the theme which seems apparant here, that of balance. In Islamic doctrines, al Mizra, the scales, are an important theme and applied in many writings and studies.
Again, balance is a key tenet, and here these markings symbolic of scales appear as paired symbols to carry out that representation.

The six pointed star, as David has noted, of course is typically associated with the Magen David, or Jewish star, but as he well notes, the symbol has been in use in many cultures and religions long predating its use in Judaism. In actuality it is most often seen as interlocking triangles, and characteristically represents balance and harmony. It was a well known symbol used in early times by the Ottomans as early as the 11th century in principalities known as Beyliks, and was used in North Africa in the regencies in Algeria and Tunis in the 16th century and of course probably later.

With this symbol well established in Ottoman parlance and in keeping with the Islamic attention to balance in so many perspectives, perhaps these symbols were incorporated into these markings in that sense. As noted, this does seem to be an earlier example, and it is worth noting that one point of entry for blades into the North African trade sphere was through regions in Tunis and Algiers. Possibly these may have been 'acceptance stamps' of some sort, or possibly later as makers marks, which were often carried on in tradition much as they were in Europe.

While the symettrical application pertaining to balance and harmony seems plausibly placed with these observations in my opinion and at this point, it is hard to say whether the purpose was talismanically or religiously placed or simply makers or acceptance marks of quality.

The attached coin photo is a Moroccan coin c 1873 showing use of the star.

A fascinating example, and I would like to hear more ideas on these markings from out there in the think tank!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote