View Single Post
Old 18th May 2010, 02:46 PM   #11
mohd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohd
  1. Mim=M lam=L Ya=I and Kaf=K which can be read as MaLIK or MiLIK. MaLIK is derived from Arabic word means Raja or Prince ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
.. in Arabic "fossah"
"Malik" - "Melik" ...... is the "King" (ملك)
"Prince" is ...... "Amir" - "Emir" (أمير )
Sahihta ya ustaz! walakin sahihtu aidhon! Surely that's a good comment, Dom

Again CMIIAW, I said "MaLIK is derived from Arabic word" and I never said "MaLIK is an Arabic word". Meaning the word MaLIK which I mentioned in my previous posting is an old Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia word derived from Arabic without carrying the exact same meaning as in Arabic. Lots of words in Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia are derived from Arabic anyhow those words are already localized in the sense that the meaning are no more the exact meaning as in the original Arabic fus_hah. In Aceh MaLIK might have two meanings which are a Prince/Royalty (i.e. Malik ul Salih etc) or a name of any ordinary person (i.e. such as Abdul Malik or Malik Ibrahim etc). The King in Aceh was called as Sultan.

The Arabic word Amir which means Prince is used only in Middle East. I only heard a single use of the word Amir which means Prince in Indonesia in the only person by the name Amir Hamzah a poet prince from Sumatera and he was killed during the Culture Revolution. Any ordinary person in Malaysia or Indonesia can have name Amir without carrying the original Arabic meaning (i.e. Prince).

Hope my explanations help ..

Mohd.
mohd is offline   Reply With Quote