View Single Post
Old 5th April 2022, 12:47 PM   #80
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
This painting is quite interesting. On this Forum we had many discussions about potential uses of Yataghans. Often, there were opinions that Yataghans were not fighting military weapons, but rather just post battle head-cutters or such.
Here we see organized military unit attacking enemy positions with Yataghans; this seems to contradict the above notion.

Nepalese Gurkhas performed military feats with their Kukri, a somewhat yataghan-like short bladed chopper.
just came to my mind:

this Austrian / Habsburgian regiment was a border regiment from Dalmatia: actually recruted mostly from the poorer regions around Split, Dubrovnik and the Bay of Kotor ( the latter only belonging after WW I to Montenegro and prior that being almost one with... Herzegovina...which was though Ottoman till this battle and annexation in 1878) and hence the interaction not only religious, cultural, linguistic but also tradewise between these border regions.

Consequentually the "yatag(h)an "like sword might have well been made or purchased from the same weapon black smith and looks very close to a kilij (or as in Turkish; kılıç ) which both on the painting used by the "footsoldiers " lacking the crossguard or quillon and as well mine below, purchased in the Balkans...
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 5th April 2022 at 12:58 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote