View Single Post
Old 20th February 2015, 01:48 PM   #19
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Cerjak:

I'm just coming to this thread after traveling in Australia the last three weeks.

Two very nice Northern Thai/Yunnan daab. Of the two, the first is by far the more interesting and older. As noted in Andrew's second post, it is from the early Rattanakosin period with features harking back to an earlier Ayutthaya style. These are uncommon swords to find and as a result can be fairly pricey. The habaki-like feature is interesting and again uncommon to find on Thai daab. It likely reflects a minor Japanese presence in Thailand in the 18th and 19th C, with copying of katana elements into the local daab style. The influence of Japanese sword making can also be seen in higher quality pieces made in the 19th C--many of the "royal" daab made in the 19th C and found in Thai museums seem to have Japanese elements in their blade style and hilts.

The second one is of somewhat later manufacture, and daab are still being made in this style. I think it is most likely of Husa manufacture (from southern Yunnan adjacent to the Shan States of Myanmar). The Husa are identified with the Shan who are the major ethnic group in that area. Your second example is found among the Shan and Kachin peoples living in Myanmar (Burma), as well as those of Tai/Shan origin in northern Thailand.

BTW, the sheath associated with your first example is a cheaply made 20th C example that does not befit this sword. I would not display such a fine sword with that sheath--a poor marriage IMO.

Regards,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote