View Single Post
Old 30th April 2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Will ,I retraced those older threads re: Wyatt and it seems while there no bell ringing answers there were some pretty compelling possibilities. I think most resounding was the fact that the linear name stamp resembled others in American convention for placement on the blade (British name stamps were on back of blade, but those were makers). I think these names were outfitters or sword slippers' (often including jewelers). I think one Wyatt found was a silversmith in Philadelphia c. 1790s. These guys often handled contracts for swords for colonels of units, and as often small numbers it is not surprising that even only one might survive. This was of course before arsenals or boards of ordnance issued weapons officially.

Technically even then, the 'American' people were culturally and effectively British, and still used British arms and materials largely.

Even into the early 19th century, British sword makers still supplied swords to America. As previously noted, the absence of markings on this blade suggests a Solingen import and likely in the period also suggested by Mark Eley.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote