View Single Post
Old 7th January 2016, 09:37 PM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most fascinating sword, mostly because it has more complexity in it than being a 16th century zweihander, but because it's blade seems to have begun as noted, a genuine combat blade of the 16th century, but the sword itself appears to have continued much later . Many of these old combat swords became venerated old arms and served on as processional and bearing swords.
This example seems to have been rehilted later with mountings in accord with original form, perhaps later in the 16th or possibly into early 17th.
The most interesting thing, aside from the intriguing inscriptions as the linguistics continue evaluation, are the profuse markings and motif that cover the blade.

In my opinion, the punzones at the forte adjacent to the parry hooks suggest a German made blade using the typical Spanish type marks. I have not yet found corresponding examples in the compendiums of markings, but the crescent moon on one side suggests the mark often used by the espaderos del rey ( royal smiths in Spain) as shown in Palomares plate.
It seems however that the posture is facing reverse to those usually seen in the originals.
The double head eagle was apparently to Sebastian Hernandez elder (1599-1637) and continued by son 1634-39 but illustration was not available as yet.
The double head eagle also seems to have been used by Solingen maker Andreas Berns c 1580-90 but the form looks different (this was used again far later by descendant). There also is implication that a double head eagle was used in Passau, however form and certainty seem unclear.

I have not yet found evidence of a walking lion but Josepe Bustindui in Valencia used a rampant lion, (Boeheim, 1890, p.667) but no date.

These findings simply reaffirm to me they must have been applied to the blade originally in the German shop following the usual spurious applications of Spanish and other markings.

The remainder of the 'motif' over the blade suggests it was applied later after the veneration of the blade and that these intriguing markings consist considerably of magically oriented sigils and symbolism intended to imbue justification and representation of power in its probable use as a bearing symbol.
I think there is compelling possibility this sword may have found use later in the mysterious Westphalian tribunals in Germany known as the courts of the Free Judges. The glyph like nature of the symbolic motif suggests the use of occult and magical themes which are similar to some elements of the motif associated with their regalia and implements. Interestingly these courts often used 'executioner' type swords with rebated or rounded points. These were not actually 'heading' swords, but symbolic of the power they and the courts held...over life and death.
The motif is far over embellished for a combat blade and these kinds of markings and embellishments correspond to those known in various occult themes of the 17th and through the 18th centuries.

It is believed that the use of scriptural quotations and names would enhance the powers of sigils and magical glyphs and devices. While the theme of most of these inscriptions are not Biblical, the use of Jesus Maria may be aligned with this thought. This particular inscription was typically used by Milanese armourers as well as the Ayala's in Spain.

It is interesting to note the astrological type of radiating lines and the characters that circumvent the distinctly cosmological crescent moon. The other Cabbalistically oriented devices as well as the use of the joined arcs seen on the familiar 'anchors' and the asterisk like 'stars' also seem to support this kind of theme.

Absolutely fascinating sword !!! with far more history beyond its working life as a combat weapon.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote