Thread: Kindjal
View Single Post
Old 13th August 2006, 07:14 PM   #8
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkin
"kindjal-tricks" are surprisingly essentially the same among south and north caucasians. I would guess there are a few "weird" styles that are different (like blind fight in the south), but the basic styles are the same.
You are completely right that no one really looked into it; if its northern iran (i.e. turkish tribes of Azerbaijan), I would see a problem with distinguishing their influence from the influence of other turkoman, timurid etc tribes. Arab influence was strong in Georgia in 7th-9th centuries, but slowly died out since. The problem essentially that besides territories that georgraphically surround Caucasus (Lazika, Azerbaijan, Balkans) no one has this weapon.
you are correct with the kindjal and sword tricks being spread around the caucasus , however they and the now caucascian costume originate in the northwest caucasus , in the steppe areas,, and were spread by these folks who worked as mercinaries in the other states , aswell as being used as janissaries by the turks and such , the style seems to have spread quite rapidly , because the circassian culture spread these elerments to quite some areas , and the cossaks spead them also ,
the costumes and horse tricks are not mountian folks traditions,, but have been adopted from influence,
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote