View Single Post
Old 7th September 2018, 04:10 PM   #13
Edster

Kubur,

Good question. I couldn't find a reference to El Kar blades of marked European origin. As in the quote, the Kassala informant said he used Ethiopian styles as a reference. I didn't ask if he thought those blades were native Ethiopian or based on a European or other foreign origin model. Italy was active in Ethiopia for several years during the 19th and 20th Centuries so they could have been an influence. Also, Ethiopia also had a native blade tradition as well. The database seems too small just now to hazard a good educated guess.

A well inscribed El Kar was presented by CharlesS in a 2008 post linked below. A good discussion led by Jim ensued. The blade was not dated or identified, but the sword had a Sennariya cross-guard and the Bega tassel indicative of Eastern Sudan. Also, the inscriptions (images and text) could indicate plus or minus Mahdiya era. I hadn't thought about it before, but the El Kar fuller could have been added to either a native or imported blade as fuller making and surface polishing processes would obliterate any maker's mark regardless of origin.

http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7668

Best,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote