View Single Post
Old 27th August 2012, 04:33 AM   #34
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Spiral thank you for the kind note on my comments on the marking.
It does seem clearer understanding more on this puzzling marking which was an indicator of Islamic government used on Afghan weapons and coins.

I wanted to add the photo of one of the Afghan military swords in the 2nd image (which often carry this stamp in the forte) to illustrate the similarity in the rounded fuller terminal at the forte. I had often wondered where these heavy and crisply made blades were from thinking that perhaps they were Solingen 'blanks'. The block ricasso caused me to think they were European at the time. In view of information discussed here and rethinking, it does seem these may have been produced in Kabul in the 1880s after the 2nd Afghan War and with the British presence and influence, since this was the location for the arsenal.
The 'shashka' of Afghan form (3rd image) and remarkably similar type blade to Tatyanas sa'if has the 'Afghan government stamp' discussed along with two others of different content.

The other illustration (1st image) is of a kaskara which has one of the deep stamps as seen on Tatyanas sa'if, at least in form, in the centrally situated fuller. It is one of the 'Kasallawi' types which are presumed made in the 20th century, perhaps as late as 1960s.

In earlier discussions we have seen similar stamps of this heavily struck form on knives with unresolved classification (often in triplicate stamping) but which seem to me to be likely of North Indian origin. These have a kind of arched back profile resembling the kukri in degree. With the British influence in North India and influence of Nepalese kukris known in these Indian regions, there may be some connection establishing this deeply struck X and lines type stamp in areas of Northern India which produced blades using these marks or similar.

We know that some blades from India did end up used in Sudanese kaskara though not in great number, and it is curious to see similar stamped marks used on one of these blades, contrary to markings typically found.

We also may presume that blades of European form with block ricasso may have been produced in India, perhaps modelled on imports which could have come from Solingen. It seems earlier it had been suggested that Solingen may have been producing 'blanks' for North African markets.

These thoughts of course pertain to the possible provenance of Tatyana's sa'if, with the much broader picture of the development of the 'nimcha' form needing much more intricate review. We have had many discussions on this topic, but most seem to have been inconclusive, which follows of course the question of the development and forms of these sa'if.

While possibly better discussed on a separate thread, I will note here that I think the kastane, though somewhat resembling the hilt systems of the Arabian sa'if and Italian stortas and other swords of 15th century probably developed from European models. It does seem that the jinete type swords, some of which have certain similar quillon arrangements, may well have developed through the Italian influence as well. The arms of Spain and Italy have often been closely associated.

All the best,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote