View Single Post
Old 17th July 2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Congrats, neat find! Looks like a southern Sulu piece to me - interesting chubby blade with really nice scabbard.
Thanks!
I think this one is a good match to my captain Chimmo budiak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
This looks like an old make-shift repair to me to safe the precious crosspiece - not sure this is Moro work though. BTW, are that iron nails where the lighter fiber/rattan thread is attached to? I'm wondering why this patinated differently than the hurried rattan binding just below (which should be of the same age). Is there any wear which would suggest that this piece saw continued usage after the repair rather than immediately finding its way into a colonial collection?
You observed well Kai. Those are iron nails, and the "lighter" fiber is being put on strain by these nails.
The different patination is easy to explain. It is very different material which is not easily seen on the images I guess.
It is a kind of very thin fiber threads, all put together and plaided to achieve one bigger fiber cord.
There is no clearly visibale wear which suggests the use after the restoration...So i guess it indeed might be latter. However the two holes in the crosspiece are much older, considering the patination and dirt which is in it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I'm looking forward to seeing more details of the unusual blade! Its short length and chubby proportions make me wonder wether this could have been a boy's ceremonial kris...
I also felt it different with that "chubby" blade.
However I guess it would be to heavy/large for a boy's ceremonial kris?
IMO this was not used as ceremonial kris, concerning the patina, wear and damages all over the piece...
The kris is almost 65 cm long. The blade only is 47 cm long.

Ofcourse after cleaning and etching, I will post some images of the whole blade.

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote