View Single Post
Old 13th April 2005, 06:17 PM   #27
nechesh

Empu Kumis asks: "...are they made for faking ore just using new materials." My guess is neither. I think they are made to dress souvenir keris and are originally being marketed as such. The problem arises when someone places an old 18th or 19th century keris into one of these dresses. Wayne has wondered why someone would do this. Because it is a very cheap alternative to using traditional materials. Wayne, there is no extra work involved. These outfits are no doubt mass produced by the hundreds if not thousands. It is much easier and cheaper than commissioning a new wood, horn or ivory one or even refitting an old used one. As for how the keris ended up in that condition, well, frankly, i have seen much worse. As the importance of the keris as a cultural icon rapidly decreases, less and less care is taken for these items. People stop feeding them and oiling them, stashed away in the bottom of a trunk somewhere. It gets past on to someone who doesn't care for such things or thinks they are bad luck and sells them for a bit of cash. Not a real likely scenerio for a royal court piece, but it is probably a very likely fate for many commomer pieces.
I also think your blade has some age and think it may actually be Sumatran work (there Rick, stuck my neck out ) and is probably early 19thC. Though i think a good etch and stain will undoubtable improve this blade it still won't make it a high end item. The seller knew this, so why spend money on real dress if he can make better money sticking it in plastic and hoping to fool someone like your friend?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote