Thread: Mendakery
View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2021, 05:03 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Here are some more mendaks.

These are all what I classify as either good, or rare. The materials cover just about everything:- iron, brass, bronze, silver, gold, rose cut diamonds, pastes, ivory.

There is an iron one with applied gold, a couple of old & original Bali uwer with correctly coloured pastes, a couple of very unique designs, some archaic ones that have been excavated, and more than a few old ones of very good quality.

There are two photos, one photo has about 50 mendak in it, the other photo has only 9 mendak. The 9 mendak are comprised of 7 old ones and two 20th century, well, maybe only one 20th century, the ivory and gold one in front on the left, the front one on the right could be second half 19th century.

In this second photo all mendak are of the type that I would classify as parijoto. Note that in the very old cast mendak, all these parijoto are small ball examples .

I have not checked any of these mendak in either photo against hilts, however, I am of the opinion that the original parijoto motif always had small balls, only in later mendak were larger balls used. Thus, the size of the balls in a parijoto mendak tends more to being an indicator of old design or old manufacture, rather than as an indicator of place of use.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote