View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:13 AM   #85
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Macdonald
Arrrr lads!

Regarding pirates, I may have discovered the whereabouts of the sword of the famous Barbarossa (aye, famous before he even starred in Pirates of the Caribbean!).....in Scotland.

I`m saying no more until I can provide a photo and provenance, otherwise they`ll clap me in irons!!

Macdonald
Its great to have you join in with us in our motley crew here Paul!!! and I'm really looking forward to hear more on your discovery. It is clear you have a keen knack for tracking incredibly important historical swords.
Please tell us something soon OK....this kinda stuff keeps me up nights.

Yannis......you're quite right, Barbarossa was in the Meditteranean, and these 'Barbary Pirates' really got around. Remember that there was considerable trading in the Meditteranean , from the Maghreb to Spain, England, France, Italy and there were was at least one Armada galleon wrecked in Scotland. Spain and Scotland were well established allies, and Bonnie Prince Charlie, was born in Rome, as the Royal House of Stuart was Catholic, by religion linking Spain, Italy, France and the Holy Roman Empire of Eastern Europe.

I would not be the least but surprised with a Meditteranean sword found in Scotland, as I have seen an example of 'nimcha' also from the Maghreb being worn by an English noble painted in the 17th century.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote