View Single Post
Old 29th January 2008, 06:55 PM   #73
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Avast Mark!!!! It has been a long time, and I do remember the great talks on the pirate theme! This thread has been a lof of fun, and actually I've been away from it a bit myself. Apparantly the guys have really added some pretty interesting entries here lately.

Very nice cutlass Fernando! Looks like a British hanger c.1750's with a pretty substantial blade mounted in it. Thanks for the historical material and perspective too.

Vandoo, great stuff ! I'm beginning to wonder if you've traded in that war bonnet I always picture you wearing for a tricorn with jolly roger! Thank you for all the comprehensive material on pirate weapons, including the not often thought of grenades.

I appreciate all the insight everybody has added on the terminology and etymology as well.

Freddy, that scary 'Crocodile Dundee' lookin' piece seems likely to be a theatrical item made to resemble old Italian falchions from about 16th c. and even has had interpretations of the familiar Genoan 'sickle marks' added. Even if ya didn't use it, it might scare a guy to death

Thanks very much everybody for keeping this thread going. I always hope these threads will do just as this has, to serve as a sort of comprehensive reference resource for future research and giving us all better understanding of the subject.
I know this thread has gotten me to rewatch the pirate classics over again, and looks like we've even hooked the old salt Mark Eley!! Looking forward to those pictures Mark!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote