Thread: Iklwa
View Single Post
Old 16th July 2006, 04:23 PM   #5
The Double D

Two of my spears I believe to be true Iklwa's. Two others I have with long heavy blades I believe may only be heavy hunting spears that have had the hafts cut down. But I’m just not sure

There is a lot that has been written historically about Iklwa's and one can only guess how much is based on fact and how much is based on conjecture. Historical works on arms are notoriously inaccurate.

I have Spring' African Arms and Armour but he has only a few pages on Zulu weaponry. Fortunately he has a good bibliography. I would hope that his sources are a bit more scientific than the historical references.

I spent the afternoon with www.abebooks.com and found the 2 volume set of Junod, The Life of a South African Tribe. It's coming from the U.S. so it could be here in 3 or 4 weeks.

Spring makes reference to Eileen Krige listing over 20 different designs used by the Zulu's in her book The Social System of the Zulu's. Search of www.abebooks.com for her book brought real pleasant surprise. An old book store two blocks from my office in downtown Durban has the book. Tomorrow, I will walk over and get the book. Then hopefully I will be better able to understand what I have here and will be able to share that information with others here who have an interest in Zulu weapons.

I will also I hope, be better able to identify what my spears really are.
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote